Tuesday, September 4, 2012


This is Ethan Allen Hawley. Atticus Finch is behind him, having discovered something interesting on the ground. Or, to be more accurate, doing his own thing and celebrating the alpha that he is. The day this was taken we were at Secluded Farm Trail at Monticello. With no leashes on. Rebels, we are.

About eight years and one month ago, I met Ethan. I met him before I met Atticus because he was the first puppy to jump up to me from inside the cardboard box that he and his seven siblings were sharing. He was born to a junkyard dog, the faithful companion of a man without a home of his own that lived behind an auto garage near my house in Sandusky, Ohio.

Ethan and I connected immediately. Something in the eyes, mayhaps. We are similar creatures in that we both crave attention and affection. We both like adventures and the open air. We are playful, and oftentimes a little simple (okay, maybe a lot simple). And we both love to cuddle up on the couch and nap. As strange as it may sound to many, Ethan and I understand each other.

When my ex and I looked at each other from across the box (him having made similar connections with Atticus Finch) we knew we were adopting both of these guys. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Ethan and Atticus are my family. We've been through a great deal together over these eight years. 

When I signed on to support the CASPCA and the Critter Ball, it was a very easy decision for me. Many of my friends think I'm crazy to fundraise for so many different causes this Fall. I simply could not say no. 

When you support the CASPCA, you are supporting companionship, friendship, and compassion. Every single one of these incredible creatures needs a nurturing home, and every one of them needs someone to nurture. 

Won't you please cast your vote today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment